Okay; so the title of this post is a little tenuous for creating theme, but hey. Sometimes life is tenuous. (Hopefully not in this instance...)
When I was growing up, joyously singing in the children's choir at my church, I longed to sing with "the big kids" in the chancel choir. And when that day finally arrived, I remember being adopted by the most dynamic (some might say notorious) duos in the choir: Sandy and Sally.* They were like two halves of the same person; I don't know how long they'd been friends, but truly peas in a pod. Very irreverent, amazing alto peas. It was awesome. It was, I think, only 4-5 years later that Sandy passed away from cancer :-( I still miss her and can't imagine what Sally feels.
But, now that I am a "big kid" too, and back at the church I grew up in, I feel a little of that spirit of Sandy when I'm singing alto (and being somewhat unruly) with Sally on Thursday nights and Sunday mornings.
This weekend, we're all wondering if we're going to experience a different sort of Sandy altogether, though. (See? Tenuous. But that's stream of consciousness from the human mind for you.) So I thought I'd better write something before all heck breaks loose...which I hope it doesn't.
For those of you who missed all my posting on Facebook, the Seminary had a huge celebration in the nearby University chapel yesterday for the bicentennial of the school. I got to sing in the choir. It was AMAZING. Still having trouble getting back to a normal sleeping schedule from all the endorphins.
Tomorrow, my dad (and maybe my aunt) and I are going to meet with a landscaper over at my grandparents' house in the hopes that we'll be able to get an estimate we can live with for dealing with the years of overgrowth. Trying to avoid this look: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hbomb/41068279/in/set-177453
I've also scheduled a meeting on Tuesday morning with a plumber for an estimate on all the plumbing stuff that needs to be done. Let's hope Sandy isn't in the midst of creating a much larger moisture problem than we're already having!
On Sunday, weather permitting, we'll be singing a really fun arrangement of Amazing Grace in church :-)
My sister's finishing up another field job (this one's in Iowa - which reminds me; I need to find out where I go to vote and whether I can vote early...) and should be headed back east in a little more than a week.
*Incidentally, when I joined BCS back in 2007, two of the first people I met were altos named Sandy and Sally. My time with that choir was some of the best time in my life so far. Coincidence? I think not ;-)
hehe I remember Sandy and Sally!
ReplyDelete