Tuesday, July 29, 2014

words

Someone posted these lyrics by the band, Skillet, recently, and (with the disclaimer that I don't really know much about the band though they were at Uprise Fest last year...) I'd like to share my two cents with the group and invite comment, if there's anyone out there still reading this thing.

It's a break-up song, a you-don't-realize-what-you-had-until-it's-gone song. Or at least that's how I hear it. My particular beef is with what seems to be one of its main themes, which is encapsulated in theses lines:

 "I know I said things that I didn't mean
But you should've known me by now"

"If you believed
When I said
I'd be better off without you
Then you never really knew me at all"

Hey now. I believe that people need to take responsibility for their words (and actions). Yet it seems that, particularly in romance, people (guys?) are very quick to say 'I didn't mean what I said' quickly followed by 'but it's really your fault, because you should have known when I was lying (or misspeaking or whatever).' The subtext is, it's never my fault, even though the story might begin, as the story in this song, "I'm still trying to figure out how to tell you I was wrong."

No. You screwed up. We all do now and again in a variety of ways in varieties of circumstances. We're human. (Rejoice!) Acknowledge it and don't try to pin your mistake on anyone else. Enough said.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/skillet/believe.html

No comments:

Post a Comment